Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Someone Else's Junk

So, prior to today's major happenings (see Miss Piggy moment below) I was excited to write about yet another amazing trip to the Salvation Army. thrift stores are such an under-utilized asset. (yes! triple word score!) Recently, Jeremy and I were talking about getting a bread machine, so we can make our own bread, pizza dough, etc.

And, for those who don't know, there are two kitchen appliances you are almost guarnteed to find at any decently sized thrift store: ice cream makers and bread machines. (If you don't see any, wait a couple weeks...they'll show up) They always seem like good ideas at the time, and then get used maybe twice and put away. And then someone finds a dust covered "thing" and donates it.

So, instead of spending $200 on a solid bread maker, we spent $4.

Our Salvation Army is good for a lot of other stuff too. I bought a ton of Christmas decorations this year from them. When I needed new work clothes, they were totally there for me. And creative plates, baskets, bowls etc to put homemade goodies in for Xmas? Yup, they set me up.

I used to think that they never had anything good, and then I took more than two seconds to think about it. Seriously, what do I see the people in my life donate? What do I donate? Its usually clothes slightly out of style, working but unused electronics, and other cool sundries.

So maybe I don't want the sweater that doesn't fit anymore, but someone will. And that street goes both ways. The prices are rediculous (especially on 50% off days - check your local thrift store to see if they have these) and you can find some seriously awesome stuff. Just plan enough time to sift through all the ungl bridesmaid dresses and julienne french fry cutters.

Oh, and awesome tip for those into brand name bling. Thrift stores based in rich areas like Beverly Hills will carry pricier items, at pricier prices but still way below retail. Milano Blahnik's for $50, anyone?

1 comment:

EVERYDAY DIFFERENT said...

Picking the area you buy from is key I think. I went to the Sherman Oaks Goodwill the other day looking for an extra throw for my bed. They all started at $15 and were extremely used and out of style. $5 more and I could buy it new from Marshall's. Needless to say I passed. I'd be interested in your Salvaton Army though. The one buy me is extremely picked over, so good deals on quality items are hard to find.