Monday, December 15, 2008

Do-gooding for the holidays, and beyond....

So on Saturday I went to an orientation for School on Wheels, an organization that puts volunteer tutors together with homeless kids in LA, Ventura, and Orange County. I went with my little bro, and sometime in January, we will be matched up with homeless kids in the Pasadena area (that's where my bro is) to tutor for one hour a week.

The whole orientation I was on the verge of tears for these kids. Pulled from one school to the next to the next as shelter space becomes available. Some, in domestic abuse shelters, can't even go to school, cause its too dangerous. And the simple things that make so much difference in their lives, like a little bit of stability and someone believing in them, those things just aren't there.

So that's what Ryan and I are going to do. We are going to be there every week for them, and to say yes, you can do it and we're going to help you.

I'm really excited, and especially happy that in this organization, unlike other volunteer groups, they feel really strongly that no matter how motivated you are, you should not take on more than one or maybe two kids. Cause to commit to too much, and then bail on the kid, that is the last thing they want.

I see more and more homeless people on my bus ride to work. Normal, adjusted people who are just down on their luck and don't have anyone they can lean on. I felt like I had to do something. And to do something to break the cycle. Giving these kids support, a chance at a better life. That's something I can really believe in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

is is really a great idea. I am talking with a local teacher to get involved with a tutoring program for "at risk" kids - meaning in this case kids from low-education backgrounds. They want people to help especially with math, and that's the one thing I love to teach above all else. One piece of advice: try not to cry when you see the kids. They might get the wrong idea. ;)