Monday, December 29, 2008

Indoor gardening

I haven't been to my community garden plot in ages. Between rain, cold, and the early sundown, there's been no opportunity. I'm looking forward to making up for lost time this weekend, but in the meantime, I've also been mulling around an idea of container gardening. Jeremy would never let me do too much, but two vegetables we like, buy a lot (and overbuy so they can rot in our fridge a lot) are lettuce and chard. And surprise! Both are extremely container friendly!

So I'm ordering some lettuce and chard seed and seeing what I have around the house for a container, or maybe picking up containers from a thrift store. Since both plants have shallow roots, I can use anything that is a foot deep, and at least a foot in diameter. Plastic storage containers, old pots and bowls, whatever. Drainage will be an issue, but if its a container I can't drill, then there are some creative ways to deal with drainage, starting with a thick layer of gravel at the bottom of the pot.

At some point I also want to try this. But that's another project for another day.

1 comment:

Indoor grow lights said...

Indoor grow lightsCool! Good blog! I'll mention it in my next blogpost and it'll turn up on my new blogroll.