Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Teaching rant number 2

Ok, so I know I already posted today, but I need to rant. Every teacher complains about this, and now I guess I will too. How am I expected to teach a student when they come in every week with a different song, and different things to work on? The work we did the week before barely applies to the new song, and teaching voice is a cummulative effort. You're supposed to build on the lessons learned in previous weeks. I've got one student who, due to her in ordinate number of auditions, gigs, etc. as a child actress, she rarely has the same song twice. I'm amazed that she learns anything at all. Of course, she does, and her parents keep bringing her back, but geez! And I've talked to them twice about how its not helping her and its going to make the process of learning voice longer and harder, but the auditions are important too, and arg! Its just frustrating. I know I can't teach in a perfect world, or in a bubble, oblivious to what's going on in her outside life, and I guess I should just be thankful that she learns as much as she does. She really is improving. I just know it would happen faster if we had one song to work on, at least for a couple of weeks. Sigh.....I guess it just is what it is. She's a good kid, and a fast learner, so maybe it'll work out alright.

No comments: