Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Good news

So I just got back from the Doc, and am vindicated! (though perhaps not as dramatically as one would have thought) Its clear, I have a case of what they call low normal thyroid - basically I'm in the normal range, but low for my age....if I were 55, then I'd be fine....and the other day I was just thinking that Gram and I have the same energy levels.

So that would be ok, easy enough to handle with diet and whatnot, but I also have really high levels of a protien they call Reverse T3 that blocks the T3 hormone from the thyroid from doing anything its supposed to do. Damn you Reverse T3! And I was doing so well!

Next she told me I also have very low levels of Pregnenolone, a precursor to progesterone, and the biggest factor in memory and mental clarity. "I'm sorry....what were you saying?" I'm very happy I can look forward to not being such a ditz in the future. :) (Caution: those expecting big results....don't hold your breath. This stuff takes its time)

And finally, I am to continue on my Progesterone as I am also low in that and must now take massive amounts of Vitamin D, which I'm also low in.

The good news though, is that nothing is so out of whack that its gonna be that hard to fix. Just a few pills, and some extra supplements to support other hormones, but no major treatments or weekly check ups. Also, because I just need some minor adjustments, my doctor figures I'll be off of all this stuff in a year, which is really good for anything thryoid related.

As I said to my dad, all very promising....now if only I felt better. In time, though, I will, and that makes me happy.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Yay for your prognosis. That is very uplifting to have an idea of what's been causing your fatigue and finally be able to start treating it. I'm so happy for you. I've become accustomed to sensing your energy aura when you come over. It was nice to see that last Thursday you seemed to be having a bit of a boost. Hopefully before long that will become the norm rather than the exception! Hopefully our cooking blog can be a good resource for helping you get the kinds of nutritional elements into your diet that will help with your treatment.