Friday, January 9, 2009

Pushing through the haze

Its been a few days since I've been able to write, mainly because I'm so doggone tired. I've been spending most of my work week trying desperately to get our books to match our CPA's statements so our producers stop asking embarrasing questions, and after two weeks, we've finally gotten over the first hurdle. The general ledge (read: main account) is DONE! Now its onto each individual movie, making sure that those books are all good.

The trouble is, during these two weeks (and, probably, the next two weeks) I also have all my normal accounting duties to complete. As you can guess, I'm pretty swamped. I just now finished up entering all the payments and deposits (and credit cards, and bank statements) for November. December should be worse, because there's WAY more stuff that is behind. Sigh.

As one would expect, I have gotten frustrated, overwhelmed, sleep deprived, and, today, my entire brain feels like its swimming through some type of haze. I have no idea how I started functioning today (I should have just shut down or fell apart), but I do know how I kept going once I got started: I didn't let myself stop.

Of course I took breaks, and I took a walk, but whenever I found myself zoning out, or getting too overwhelmed, or just plain not wanting to keep going, I kept going. I recently read that its easier for people to work in 10-15 minute spurts, so that's what I did. At first I didn't even realize what I was doing, but it does really work. I worked on a task for 15 minutes or so, then got stumped or frustrated, so I put it down and moved to something else.

Seriously, I can not believe how much I got done today, especially given how crappy I'm feeling. I can barely put a decent sentence together (when talking. typing, thankfully, isn't so much of a problem), and yet, I've gotten most everything done that I wanted too! I can go home feeling satisfied because there is no GiantNumbersPile monster waiting for me on Monday. Just a Baby GiantNumbersPile Monster, who's Underdressed and Distracted....totally pwnable.

No comments: