Thursday, January 1, 2009

My first at home manicure

Was not a great success. Its not that bad, but had I paid for this manicure, I would not be happy.

Couple of things I learned:
1. Clipping cuticles yourself is a bad idea. I'll just clean them and not worry about trimming at all. Its not worth the hassle

2. Give yourself time to learn to be a bit ambidextrous. It takes some work.

3. One of the best tools a manicurist has is her own nails, particularly when it comes to cleaning up a bit of misplaced nail polish. Unfortunately, your nails are covered in polish already! So find a tool that can be used in the same fashion. I'll update when I find such a tool.

Overall, I'm not unhappy, and I'm gonna keep going doing my own manicures. I just see how much practice I need!

2 comments:

Donna said...

Maybe when you get good at it you can teach me how to do it. Well, that is it I will ever break the recently acquired habit of cutting off what nails I have! I like your idea of learning something new each month. You're going to do great this year Katy!!!

Cindy said...

I used to do a lot of my own manicures. I agree that it's not worth it to bother with the cuticles. Just use your thumbnail to push them back a little which will help them grow faster.

For polish corrections, you can get wooden sticks that are pretty cheap at a beauty supply store(you could try toothpicks but they are probably too thin). If you are going to be doing a lot of manicures, it may also be worth it to get a nail corrector pen. It literally works like a felt tip pen but is filled with nail polish remover. It is very luxurious. That is if you are looking for instantaneous perfection. But if you are not rushing off to some important event, don't worry too much about the little flaws. Nail polish doesn't stick to your skin the same way it sticks to your nails. Let the polish rest overnight, and then the next morning in the shower, you can gently scrape the sloppy edges off with your other finger nails.

Also, I may have some extra Mary Kay Satin Hands samples around somewhere which is fun to do before an at home manicure.