Saturday, November 29, 2008

Inspiration!!

I am totally inspired and want to share it with everyone. I want to start a recurring make-it-yourself (MIY) afternoon in 2009. I started thinking about all sorts of fun and easy bath stuff that can be made in an afternoon, inspired by the thought of christmas gifts. :) Unfortunately, I think its a little too late for me to put an afternoon together in time for Christmas gifts. And besides, most of whom I would gift with these great bath products are the same people I'd invite to the MIY day!

So my idea is to do one a month or so, but timing is less important. What I really want to know is who's interested, and what do you want to make?

Here's my ideas for three different weekends that we can do. Tell me what you think, or let me know of any other ideas you might have. Even if its just an idea for one product, we can probably brainstorm around it to create a whole afternoon.

Afternoon #1: Bath Products (Of course!) which can include bath fizzies (or bath bombs), bath melts, bath salts, honey and milk bath powder, and bath teas. We could also do a more ambitious afternoon later with lotions, soaps, creams and lip balms, but we can come back to that if we're into it. Those products definitely take more work and planning.

Afternoon #2: Bread Mixes, which could have pancake mix, biscuit mix, cake mixes, sweet bread mix (like pumpkin or gingerbread), cookie mix, and maybe even some yeast bread mix (like basic white bread).

Afternoon #3: Soup mixes, of varying types. My first thoughts are to bean soups (cause the colored beans look pretty) but I bet we could find a bunch of other dry soup options, like chicken noodle (sans chicken of course).

Afternoon #4: Sauces maybe? This could be really fun, but it would be a little messier than the others, cause it would have wet ingredients.

We could also try doing some household cleansers, or get crafty and do home decor stuff? The sky's the limit really.

So there's some ideas. I just think it would be really fun to have lunch together and make fun things. It could also save us all a lot of money, unless we decide to get really gourmet with some of the materials. My thought was to make things cheaply, with normal household ingredients, rather than mail ordering a bunch of specialty stuff. And for the food stuff, it could help us be healthier too, cause we'd all know exactly what was (and was not) in our mixes. (No chemical preservatives! Yipee!)

Ok, I now open the floor...what say you all?

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I would be interested in doing some canning.