Friday, June 5, 2009

Is affordability the best way to think about things?

I was struck the other day by the difference in how I view purchases of stuff, and stuff in general, from how I used to view them. Until the last year, how I used to view stuff was always in terms of whether or not I could get it. Not how good is it, or is it worth it, but can I afford it?

For example, when I wanted to buy a new dress, I didn't ask myself if I needed it, or if I had a use for it. I didn't think about the ten other dresses I had in my closet, or whether this dress was well made or was a good value. Basically the only thought going through my head (other than "I want this") was 'can I afford it?'

Of course this brought up some issues, all of which come from the basic fact that just because I can afford it, doesn't mean its a good idea. I may not need it, it may be a bad deal, it may be a poor value, I may have other things my money would be better spent with. And, from a financial planning perspective, its an awful mindset. As long as I keep buying stuff cause I can, I'm not saving anything for later!

I can't point to what caused me to change, or the exact day I did, but, a little at a time, I switched from 'can I afford it' to 'why do I want it.' And the wierdest thing happened: I stopped buying stuff. When I starting thinking about why I wanted something, it became very clear that most of the reasons I had were superficial, fleeting, and generally stupid.

To use the same example, if I had stopped to think about why I wanted the dress in the first place, a whole other set of thoughts come up. If I want it because it makes me feel pretty, then is this dress the best way to feel pretty? Or is there something else that would fill the need better? Why do I need to feel pretty anyway? Maybe that is something to look at within myself. OR maybe I want to feel wealthy? To cheer me up? Because I'm bored? Because I've been shopping too long?

There are a whole host of reasons why I, or anyone, would be drawn to buy something, but most of them look pretty vacuous in the light of day. And after you see that, its really easy to walk away from purchases. The upside is that when I find really solid reason to buy something, I feel great about it days or even weeks after the purchase. AND I spend money on things that really make me content and happy long term, instead of just for the moment.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Retail America hates you! You have cracked their falacy that spending is inherantly good. Good job, Katie!