Sunday, March 8, 2009

Doom

And Gloom. It seems like you hear a lot of that these days. But I think its all perspective. Sure, I write about what's happening in the financial sector cause I find it interesting, but on a day to day basis it doesn't affect me.

Some say the next Great Depression is coming, because they watch the stock market plunge. I say "I don't see any soup kitchens around."

Sure, its bad, and its gonna get worse in the financial sector. We may see nasty inflation and high unemployment. We may have retired grandparents move back in with their kids cause they lost their portfolio, and a high foreclosure rate, but we are so SO much better off than in the 1930s.

We have the FDIC, which kept everyone who's bank closed last year from going bust. We have unemployment, disability, WIC, food stamps and all sorts of other programs that help pay bills and buy food when we need help. Are chemical based agrobusiness (while bad for the environment and long term health) ensures that there's no possibility of a dust bowl the way there was in the 50s. I'm sure we could all add more to this list, but the basic message is, that sure, it hurts, but I don't think it'll hurt that much. We are much more prepared to help each other than we were then, and we already are helping each other. In the end, we'll probably get a stronger, better society out of this, so don't panic. It'll be ok.

No comments: