Thursday, December 6, 2007

What Would Jesus Buy?

So last week, Jeremy and I saw this documentary "What Would Jesus Buy?". Very funny, and sums up totally how I feel about the things I buy. I highly recommend it, for fun and for food for thought. The activist they follow, Rev. Billy, is not a reverend. I think he called himself a comedic activist? or something like that. Anyway, he's crazy. and its funny to see him be crazy. The actual message comes from interviews with real reverends, which is cool. And the message is really, be aware of the cost of your shopping.

So, to sum up for those of you who are wondering what to get us for Christmas, I don't want to cause undo pressure, but if I had my preference, this is how I would have you shop for us: don't. donate, or if anythng, give us money. Or, if you must, we would love handmade gifts, or gifts bought at a small store, or something made in the US. That way money spent goes back to the local community.

I just don't like big corporations...sure they have low prices, but the cost of those prices is so high....and yes, I do still shop a target occasionally. I'm no saint. But I like this trend of thinking more about the impact of our spending. It goes right along with the other trend I'm followng of thinking about the cost of what I eat. (read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and Fast Food Nation) All this stuff just fits with what Jeremy and I were already leaning towards.

No comments: