Friday, December 7, 2007

Guess who's going to be a certified SLS instructor!!!

YAYAYAYAYAY! For three years and four months I have been working toward certification as a SLS (speech level singing) vocal instructor. I had about eighteen of those months with almost no singing or teaching due to thyroid issues, so I had to start all over again with my training and evaluations in March of this year. And then, I passed my deadline in Sept without completing my training, and I thought I was done. But I asked for an extension anyway, and today I had my last lesson and evaluation (the instructor thought I was doing GREAT with my students!), and I just got awarded an extension. They sent me a writen test to prove I knew the codes of conduct and whatnot, so easy. I don't think there will be any trouble with that. So, starting January 1st, I will be certified Level One. WOOHOO!!!

Now I can actually say, "Yes, I'm a SLS teacher" and put it on my advertising and everything. AND I get listed on their official website, which is where every singer looking for an SLS teacher goes to find one in their area. So, so happy. If you're wondering what this whole SLS thing is, check out Speech Level Singing and their singer's community mySLSworld

As a note I should also mention I heard back from one of the places I applied as a part time bookkeeper. the property management company, which I really wanted to work in, offered me $12 an hour! Now, to make it clear how insulting that is, $12 an hour is currently the low end of what a bookkeeper's assistant would make. And they want me as a full bookkeeper, not an assistant. But whatever, it can't get to me, cause I'm gonna be certified!!!!

No comments: