Monday, June 2, 2008

What a fabulous weekend!

Solvang was the BEST! The town is so sweet and quiet (we were there the weekend after memorial day, so that might have something to do with it) and it was SO RELAXING!

I'd never been wine tasting before, but boy is it fun! We did a couple normal type tasting rooms, some tasting rooms that were winery specific, and a couple that were wine-plus. One of my favorite places were the Wild Heart tasting room, which did not have a bad wine, even with seven choices! They even had this AMAZING white Cabernet Sauvinion. You'd have to taste to believe.

And we did TWO tastings at what was, and probably will continue to be, my favorite wine tasting place: Vin Hus. Its a gourmet cheese and food store, that has the smallest wine tasting bar in the county, with the coolest wine guy: Brad. Brad taught us about wine tasting, told us his personal tastes and why, never made it sound like I should like the wine (a BIG plus) and he paired the wines with cheeses, salami and chocolate. YUM! I can't wait for his wine club (two wines and a cheese, monthly....can there be anything more heavenly?)

Olive house was a fun tasting because it was a wine and olive tasting....yummy yummy olives. But I thought all the wines were subpar, especially compared to what we had just tasted at Vin Hus.

And then we also picnicked at the Clairmont Lavender farm, which was so quiet an relaxing....totally aromatherapudic. (is that a word?) I picked up some loose lavender to make soap, and got to watch the guy in charge set up the still to make lavender oil....very cool.

On Sunday we visited the Nojoqui falls, which were really nice. I was a little bummed that the fall was more like a trickle, cause its such a dry year, but the mineral deposits the fall had left in the centuries prior were still really beautiful and impressive.

I haven't even talked about the food, which was, of course, amazing! Really, one of my new favorite trips to take and I can't wait for the next one.

Oh! And I bought the BEST yarn at the Village Spinning and Weaving store. So decently priced, and SOOOOOOOO soft! I've been trying to decide what to make, and I think I'll make a sweater, but which pattern to use!

No comments: